Monday, July 4, 2011

A taste of Hawaii

I've been getting back to my roots lately and that means I'm taken back to Hawaii.  I have a couple of family Portuguese recipes on here but this one is straight up Hawaiian.  Anyone whose been to the islands know that you can't have a lunch plate without a mac salad.  So here is my version of that great little bite!

Hawaiian Style Mac Salad


  • cups macaroni (any kind that tickles your fancy. I let the kids choose.)
  • 1/4 cup grated carrot
  • cup mayonaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • small can of chopped black olives, drained
  • 1/4-1/2 cup grated or chopped onion.  I use whatever I have and this can include shallots or green onion as well as red or yellow.
  • salt & pepper to taste

Directions:



  1.  Cook macaroni till tender.  Drain and rinse in cold water.
  2.  Add ingredients until well coated. Salt & Pepper to taste. Use more mayonnaise if needed.
  3.  Chill in refrigerator.
  4.  When ready to serve, add more mayonnaise to keep salad from drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment